By protecting and improving our environment, the communities where we do business and the students we serve, Sodexo makes every day a better day and every tomorrow a better tomorrow.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to purchase a meal plan?

Yes! It's a great value and it is UTRGV's policy that all designated Campus Residents purchase a meal plan each semester.

What are Dining Dollars/V Bucks?

Dining Dollars are cash values included in all meal plans. They work like a pre-paid debit card with funds kept on your student ID card. Dining Dollars may be used at any on-campus dining location. V Bucks are declining balance dollars that may be purchased by commuters, faculty or staff and an be used at all campus dining locations.

Do Dining Dollars carry over from year to year?

They are carried over from the fall to the spring when a new meal plan is purchased in the spring. They are not carried over from year to year.

Do Block Meals carry over from semester to semester?

Block meals may be used during the semester in which are purchased. They do not carry over from semester to semester.

Can I change my meal plan if it does not fit my needs?

Yes! Changing to a bigger or smaller meal plan can be done during the first week of school. Changing to a larger plan is possible at any time during the semester. All other changes must be requested at the V OneCard Office.

If I'm not a Resident Hall Student, where do I buy my meal plan?

If you live off-campus, you can purchase a traditional meal plan through Auxiliary Services. We have also designed a special meal plan just for you called “Commuter Meal Plan”. For more information please call (956) 316-7178 or visit the Auxiliary Office in the Academic Services Building- 1.102C.

What are “V” Bucks?

Declining Balance Dollars. This program is recommended for students, faculty, staff and the campus community. The declining balance program is accepted in any of the dining facilities.

In This Section
Important Info

Lost or Stolen Meal Cards

Lost or stolen meal cards can be replaced. Should this happen to you, please report it to the V OneCard Office by calling (956) 665-7276.

Dietary Need

Do you have particular dietary needs? No problem! Our UTRGV Culinary Team can accommodate your special dietary requirements. For more information, please contact or see the General Manager Gilbert Garza, at the Residence Dining Hall Office:

Dining Policies

One of our main goals is to provide a pleasant, clean, comfortable and satisfying dining experience. In order to meet this goal, we ask for your assistance with the following procedures:

  • Please bus your dishes and disposables from your table when you have finished dining
  • Please refrain from taking food, dishes or utensils from the dining area.
  • Remember that meal cards are non-transferable. Meal cards cannot be used by anyone but the purchaser.
The University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley | Dining Services | 1201 W. University Drive | Edinburg, TX 78539 | tel. (956) 665-7409 | Contact Us